Position: VIRTUAL CONSTRUCTION SPECIALIST
Reports to: Preconstruction Manager
The Virtual Construction Coordinator or CAD Mechanical Designer/BIM Specialist is responsible for providing 3D BIM support of current and new construction projects including modeling of HVAC, piping and plumbing systems. He or she will create Building Information Models (BIM) drawings from engineering documents used in pre-construction and construction phases of projects, to support shop fabrication and field installation. Coordinates drawings with other trades and works closely with assigned Project Managers, construction supervision, field personnel, vendors and design engineers. Requires experience with 3D/BIM design applications such as Autodesk Fabrication CAD MEP, Fabrication EST MEP or Revit.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
CREATE & MAINTAIN MODELS FOR PROJECT SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:
• Completes CAD-related activities, including Integrate layouts as-built and update existing drawings including quality and spot checks.
• Produce “AIA Level 300” BIM models in Revit MEP or Autocad Fasciation from 2D PDF design plans.
• Create and/or maintain tools and shortcuts in AutoCAD and Revit.
• Assist Design team with laying out fit out floor plans in CAD/BIM software.
• Assist troubleshooting and resolving Revit/BIM application issues.
• Prepare Mechanical drawings which include layouts for ductwork, mechanical piping, riser/flow.
• Models HVAC piping and duct systems as well as various accessories in a 3D CAD environment to be used for coordination and construction.
• Ability to produce engineering drawings from sketches, red-line mark-ups, existing drawings and designer field notes diagrams, details and schedules.
• Converts a hand drawn isometric from the field into a CAD spool drawing to be fabricated in the shop.
• Checks documents for CAD/BIM Standards compliance.
• Inserts CAD points at critical locations (hangers, housekeeping pads, floor sleeves, etc.) to be imported into a layout tool for laying out points in the field.
• Knowledge of preparing drawings received from the architect (clean-up, set-up trade drawings) for our use.
• Supports the MEP Engineer to producing engineering drawings from red-line mark-ups, existing drawings, field notes, etc.
• Review and implement new versions of BIM software and develop customized solutions as required.
• Assist with updating, maintaining and distributing documents to field and subcontractors.
• Prepare and maintain submittal logs and expediting log for VC models.
• Assist with coordinating models with internal and subcontractor detailers and modelers Record coordination sign offs.
• Assist to process shop / fabrication level models for approval.
• Other tasks as assigned.
• Ability to lead and foster positive working environment.
• Working as a Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing BIM Technician, BIM Manager or VDC Manager type positions.
• Extensive experience with BIM or 3D Modeling utilizing AutoCAD Fabrication &/or Revit MEP software solutions. Advance knowledge of construction management processes, means and methods.
• Experience with reading and understanding engineered plan drawings.
• Ability to operate, access, and maintain diverse software applications.
• Ability to use independent judgment, problem‐solving ability, self‐starting and ability to prioritize based on relevant factors.
• Excellent time and project management skills
• Bachelor’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Architecture, Engineering or Construction with previous experience in a BIM leadership role.
WORKING REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS
This position requires working in both an external and internal environment.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
He or She must:
• Have ability to work as a team member.
• May require travel to jobsite.
• Be a motivated self-starter.
• Work independently and to be accurate, efficient and organized.
• Manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, and crouch occasionally.
• Lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS
• Computer and peripherals.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office suite of software (Word & Excel).
• Must be proficient in On Center On-Screen Take-Off software.
• Must be proficient in Revit, BIM, virtual design software.